Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Depressed about my results. Please provide a solution! Any grad school in USA consider student with less GPA


Depressed about my results. Please provide a solution! Any grad school in USA consider student with less GPA?
I'm studying Electrical Engineering as a major and have my minor in Computer Science in Canada. However, I haven't done well in my engineering or computer science and I will be graduating with a GPA of mere 2.4 this coming May (2011). I remain very depressed as I doubt if I'll be able to find any job. My parents are asking me to consider grad school but I don't know if any grad school in USA will even consider my application because of such weak GPA. Please any help advice as to what I should do? Thank You.
Studying Abroad - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
In the United States we have the lowest GPA requirement for graduate schools in the developed world, 3.0 (a handful of schools have lower ones, but they are not worth International tuition to attend). Unfortunately you will have to get your grades up if you want to attend graduate school. The easiest way to do this is by looking at your lowest grades, F's and WF's and take the course over again, if your school has a grade replacement policy (US schools do). Once you graduate you will be stuck with that GPA for the rest of your life, so take extra time in school now, even if it means graduating later, to get it up.
2 :
Have you done an internship or co-op in engineering? If not, then even if doing one would delay your graduation, you MUST do one. Because while some employers will care about your GPA, most won't even ask about it - what most employers care about is that you got your engineering degree and did the internship. So you really, really need that internship. I would prefer that you do that internship, and also work with the career center to make your resume sparkle. Use all that to get your first engineering job. Work there for a while, establish a record of success, and only then consider grad school. So for right now - internship, then a full focus on getting your first engineering job. You absolutely can find an engineering job. Again, most employers (not all, but most) won't care what GPA you got. Really. Honest. There are some grad schools that might let you in, if your GRE ends up being strong and you have full time, post-bachelors experience as an engineer. You may also want to consider taking the professional engineering exams - that could also help you.